Click To See Today's Rates

Posted 08/12/2008

Google+
LinkedIn
Reddit

A Six-Figure Income And Impeccable Credit Doesn’t Insulate You From Tightening Mortgage Guidelines

All credit types -- including prime borrowers -- are having a harder time finding mortgage financingFour times annually, the Federal Reserve surveys 84 banks around the country about general lending standards and banking conditions.

One of the survey questions asks about current mortgage lending standards and whether it's getting harder, or easier, to get approved for a home loan.

Modified from the report, we see that nearly 80 percent of banks are making it harder for "prime" borrowers to get a mortgage.

This is up from 18 percent a year ago and underscores mortgage lender risk aversion among even the "most qualified" among us.

A six-figure income or impeccable credit is no longer good enough to get you carte blanche with the bank -- you've got to have the complete package and this chart is your proof of that.

Now, some of the areas in which mortgage guidelines are tightening are well-known:

  • More thorough income documentation
  • Higher credit score requirements
  • Larger downpayment requirements

But most of the areas are less well-known and constantly changing.  They includes the dark corners of mortgage approvals, addressing esoteric items such as:

  • Investment property cash flow
  • Appraised values and comparable sales
  • 30-day delinquencies and credit character

And it's only expected to get harder. 

So, if you already know you're buying a home next Spring, talk to a loan officer now and put a purchasing plan in place.  This is especially true if you're converting your primary residence into an investment unit -- more than a few would-be buyers have been burned already by new rules that specifically exclude some types of rental income.

Where 80 percent of banks go, the other 20 percent is likely to follow.  The best way to prepare for these changes is to ask good questions in advance of your actual needs.  That way, you're planning proactively instead of scrambling reactively for additional downpayment at the 11th hour of your purchase.

The information contained on The Mortgage Reports website is for informational purposes only and is not an advertisement for products offered by Full Beaker. The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not reflect the policy or position of Full Beaker, its officers, parent, or affiliates.

3 Testimonials

Barry L. Systems Analyst

The Mortgage Reports is an excellent resource. I depend on the Mortgage Reports for the most up-to-date information regarding shifts in government policy and mortgage rate information in general.

Felicia M. Law Enforcement

The Mortgage Reports has been a valuable asset to me. I love that each topic is fully explained in terms that can be easily understood. I've learned more from this web site than from any first-time buyer education class.

Judy T. Business Owner

I read The Mortgage Reports every day.

2017 Conforming, FHA, & VA Loan Limits

Mortgage loan limits for every U.S. county, as published by Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)